Thursday, October 1, 2009

Looking forward to a great October

Wow, it is October. If you are like me, I am utterly amazed at how fast the year has gone by.

The hot days of summer are gone and now we have the crisp days of fall to look forward to. I will let you in on a little secret...I have never been a fan of fall. It is usually the end of beach season and golden fun. This year, though, some type of transformation is happening to me. I went out one morning to walk my dogs and it was cold and I found that I actually welcomed the change. I grabbed my favorite shawl and sat on my porch, listening to the wind go through the trees and enjoying the sun rising.

My only explanation of this change has to be the area that I am living in. I have now lived in the Central Park NC area for eight months. During this time, I have gone outside more than I have since I was a child. I have become interested in the culture of this area. I have gone to wine tastings in actual vineyards. I took a swim in a lake. I have watched pottery being made. And now I can say that I have learned to relax enough to enjoy a cool, fall morning. I have learned to love my region and everything about it.

Coming to the Central Park region, you will meet two types of people. The first is the native who has lived here all of their lives and can tell you about every town, secret fishing spot, and good restaurant. Their wisdom has helped me learn my way around so well in the time that I have been here. Their stories of the history of the region will keep you interested and make you want to explore more. They take pride in the region because they have roots that run deeper than any tree in the Uwharries.

The second type of person you will meet will be the new transplants. These people, like myself, have come to the region for some reason or the other. Some for new jobs, others are retiring to the area, and many just wanted to move somewhere for a quieter way of life. They have lived in big cities and small towns all over. They bring their knowledge to the area and have a fresh point of view that is always appreciated. They take pride in the region because they specifically picked the place to plant their roots.

No matter what type of person you meet, they will tell you about how much they love the area. With the leaves changing colors, I expect that the region that I love will become even more beautiful and as it does, my favorite shawl and I will be outside taking it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment